Friday, May 11, 2012

Gibson B25 Restoration Begins


Bought this little Gibson B25 online awhile back.  Decided to start restoring it today. Yes, I know that I haven't finished the Erhardt 2012 #1 that is in progress and I have tons of unfinished work to do to get the shop fully functional. Get over it.  This is what I do.  A guy has to do what he's inspired to do!

As you can see, there are a few minor flaws in this fine 1960's instrument, the worst of which was probably the result of a bad break up.  "I don't need nothing but my guitar!" he says.  "Fine!!" she screams, swinging it like a baseball bat into his melon.  His mom sells the guitar on ebay for parts while he's still in the coma to help defray hospital costs....

But, I digress.  Today, I spent two hours gingerly removing the broken, splintered, crazed top from the rest of the guitar.  I was very pleased to find the sides and back and neck completely intact and still solidly glued together in their vintage configuration.

Someday, this little darling will be better than new.  I say this knowing that I will rebuild it better than it ever was.  The new top will look like it did prior to the big break up, with a sweet cherry sunburst finish, but on the inside, the bracing will contoured and refined for best sound possible, something that wasn't bothered with when these "low-end" instruments were being cranked out of the factory during the 60's.  Who knew they would become so highly prized 50 years later?


No comments:

Post a Comment